April 2009 Dear Friend,
Hello, my name is Tarikua Gebrewold. I am 18, and was born and. brought up in Kebele 17 of Nazareth town, about 100km from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Tsega Assefa from ActionAid has helped me to write this letter to you today, I hear you are a supporter of The Next Step, so I would love to tell you how you have helped me, my family and so many others.
My family didn't have a permanent source of income. My mother, Ehite, is our bread winner as our father is not with us anymore. She spent most of her life in the market; selling food items at a vending stall, overburdened-to sustain the life of her six children including me. She used to have to borrow coins from different people to buy bread. We were leading a life of abject poverty confined in a small room depending on an uncertain income.
Some ten years ago, ActionAid and its partner, Vision Organisation for Community Development, started a project in Nazareth to help poor and vulnerable people. Kebele 17 was among the five project areas in the town. A non formal education school was set up in 1997 to provide basic education for those who did not get the opportunity to go to school, and I was one of these people! I never thought I would have the opportunity to go to school; my mother is too poor to provide basic necessities let alone education.
Unlike the formal education system, these schools are flexible; which meant I could go to class but also, help my mother at market. I was provided with text books and stationary materials, and staff from ActionAid were always supervising and encouraging all the children in the school.
I attended the school for three years, and then because of my outstanding performance I joined grade five in a formal primary school. This was the happiest moment of my life. One of the things that made me happy and encouraged me to keep up the hard work was the admiration and respect I got from people in my neighbourhood.
With support from ActionAid I am currently in the second year of 'vocational school studying to be an electrician. I use to be afraid of getting a shock whenever I touched an electric switch, but now I've developed skills and people in my neighbourhood call me to fix switches. I have reached a level I have never dreamt of reaching. After finishing my training, I am confident that I.will generate an income with the skills I have acquired to help my mum.
My brother, Sisay is 25 and he has also been involved in ActionAid's good work. He took part in a one year catering course and is now working in Adama Ras hotel here in Nazareth.
My mother has also improved her income thanks to ActionAid. She is a member of a saving and credit group which is part of a union.. The union owns a two storey shopping mall which is rented out..The money my mum is earning from the market, and the share she gets from rent of the mall means she can buy household goods and also feed all of her children. Soon we will move into a better house.
Without your support of The Next Step all of this is unthinkable. I am now looking forward to a bright future. Thank you for making such important changes in our lives.
Regards,
Tarikua Gebrewold
P. S. Along with this letter, I have included photographs of myself and my mother, Ehite and my brother Sisay.
No comments:
Post a Comment