[Article from field-worker]
This is Garba Tulla, a community I know well. Over the last few years, I've seen villagers like Zainabu lose everything. And seen their determination to pick themselves up and rebuild their
This is Zainabu Kamato. I don't think I've ever known a stronger-spirited woman. Despite losing everything, she's doing all she can to look after her family and build a better future for her six children. Just having enough to eat is a struggle. Zainabu told me, "It's hard to secure enough food for everyone in the family. I try to make it last a week but it's tough."
Zainabu and her fellow women farmers have tried to grow some crops but without water they are struggling. "If we finish the waterpan, I can grow vegetables to eat, I can earn money and the children can go to school. I can work and take control of my life again."
This is Zainabu with her eldest daughters inside their home. Her daughters Ralia and Mumina no longer go to school because Zainabu can't pay the fees.
Her daughters dream of a better future - Ralia wants to be a doctor and her oldest, Mumina wants to be a nurse.
Finding water is a struggle for everyone in Garba Tulla. On Tuesdays, Zainabu spends half her day
PHOTOS: KATE HOLT/ACTIONAID

No comments:
Post a Comment